Thursday, September 24, 2009

Sitting On a Bench

* ThePhan just reserved her ticket to go see Proof at her school.
ThePhan: Whee!
zyzzyva: What's Proof?
ThePhan: It's a play. There was a movie version of it that came out in 2005.
Ghost of Sam: It's about math.
ThePhan: Yeah. It's about two sisters and their mathematician father.
Ghost of Sam: And true love, I think.
ThePhan: Maybe. It's been awhile since I've seen the movie, but I think the true love is more familial love.
zyzzyva: Sounds interesting.
zyzzyva: Too bad I'm no where nearby.
Ghost of Sam: I saw it and loved it, but all I remember is Anthony Hopkins being drunk.
ThePhan: Heh
Ghost of Sam: And Gwyneth Paltrow sitting on a bench.
Ghost of Sam: More movies should have Gwyneth Paltrow sitting on a bench.
ThePhan: I mostly just remember the scene where he's all excited about coming up with this proof. He makes his daughter read it back to him, except half of it is gibberish.
ThePhan: As he hears it read back, he realizes that he hasn't solved anything, he's basically just losing his ability to do this.
ThePhan: I remember it because it made me cry. :-)
Ghost of Sam: Was that before or after she sat on a bench?
zyzzyva: Why don't you make a movie called Gwyneth Paltrow Sitting on a Bench?
Ghost of Sam: I really liked that part. The part where she sits on a bench.
ThePhan: Before, I think.
Ghost of Sam: Say what you like about Gwyneth Paltrow, but she can sit on a bench like nobody's business.
ThePhan: I think she was sitting on a porch swing in the scene that made me cry. That's probably why I was crying. I connect to porch swings more emotionally than I connect to benches.
zyzzyva: I'll see if I can rent it. Then I can see Gwyneth Paltrow sit on a bench.
Ghost of Sam: Porch swings are all right, but the only time people sit on them is (1) if it's dark, or (2) if you're a hillbilly and the paint on your house is peeling. Neither one of those are as cinematic as sitting on a bench, which, save for the drunk-covered-by-a-newspaper exemption, always occurs in bright spring sunlight in a park.
Ghost of Sam: The infamous porch swing scene of Proof naturally occurs at night, since Gwyneth Paltrow's character's house doesn't have peeling paint.
Ghost of Sam: Which is fine and all. I mean, in any other movie it would be the highlight of the picture. But Proof goes that much further and treats us to a porch swing scene AND a bench scene. That's how great that movie is.
ThePhan: Not to mention I don't know many actresses who could pull off the complexities of BOTH of them.
Ghost of Sam: You said it.

No comments:

Post a Comment